Things to invest in as a Singer





Hello Friends!

It feels like years since I've made a post on this blog...It also feels like every time I do post I always start it with something around the lines of "It's been so long!" or "Wow, it feels like forever blah blah blah..".

I got some interesting gifts over the holidays that has inspired me to make this post. Now that my life is a bit busier and my career is moving a bit (well, more than it was in High School, that's for sure..), I've been collecting some items that have been LIFE SAVERS over the last few years.

Now, I know that many of us are freelancers, students or up and coming and that could leave us with 0 pocket change. These items are price friendly, investments or great gifts that family and friends could get for you!


1. A Dress Bag and Duffel Bag

These two items are amazing for quick trips to gigs or competition. A good dress bag will keep you clothing protected and hopefully help with preventing creases. This way you don't destroy every Moore's bag that your family has, instead you can have your own! (This may only be applicable to me..)
A sturdy, classy duffel bag will make you look professional and have all the essentials with you. A good duffel bag will keep it's shape and will give good support when carrying it. You can find great duffel bags at The Bay and they always have a variety that are on sale! This is the Dress Bag that I have from The Bay as well.

2. Portable Steamer

This goes along the lines of traveling and keeping your performance  clothing clean and proper. A portable steamer is cheap, small and easy to use. Everything I need in a rush when there is a sneaky wrinkle in my clothes! This is the one I use, and you can find it on Amazon!

3. Humidifier or a Diffuser 

A humidifier is a great thing to have as a singer. Between illness, fatigue, stress or weather changes, your voice can be easily affected by small things. A dry voice is prone to damage and long term injury. Having steam and humidity helps keep your voice in a happy climate. You can get some nice diffuser or humidifiers here.

4. Steam tablets 

In a pinch, one can fill up a sink or a bowl with hot water and place one of these tablets to help open up and steam your pores and voice. Lush creates organic, handmade products that will hopefully help you relax without worrying about chemicals infiltrating your voice.


last but not least...

5. Good Skin Care

Stress, Fatigue, Poor Diet, Long Days and Nights, Make up and Hairspray, Dirty Travel (such as planes and trains), Pollution, everything affects your skin. As someone who has struggled with acne for years, good skin care has been crucial. Unfortunately, your face is your money maker, second to your voice. As much as we should embrace blemishes and scars, that doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of our skin. Creating a good routine for Day and Night, using good products, is always worth it. While it can be tough to justify an expensive line, it is usually worth it. Always look for a product that is Dermatologist approved and made for sensitive skin. These will usually be incredibly effective but gentle on all skin types, preventing further stress on the skin! The skin care line that I use is by La Roche-Posay with a Clinique Purifying Cleansing Brush. You can get both these products from Shoppers Drug mart.


The nice thing about most of these products are that they are travel friendly, which comes handy when you get called last minute for a gig half way around the world! (I'm looking at you Joyce DiDonato...)

Some other tips that I recommend are: Signing up for a Bay card and an Optimum card. With The Bay card, you can score 70-80% off deals and score some points, similar to an Optimum card. My mom was able to buy my Clinique Brush and my steamer at shoppers using points!

I hope these were helpful gift ideas for the future, and if you have any suggestion as to what to blog about next, leave a comment below!

Til next time,

Tessa


Comments

Popular Posts