A Capella Puts a New Spin on Sia


First there was Glee, showing a group of misfits who took popular songs and created some cool choral arrangements. Then there was Pitch Perfect, who shone some light in the direction towards A Capella groups.
A Capella music brings a choral setting to those who don't necessarily care for classical music or training.
Recently, Buzzfeed released an article talking about "Twisted Measure". Their recording of Chandelier by Sia has gone crazy and I totally see why.


In their arrangement of Sia's Chandelier, they show the raw side of the song rather than the interpretation most of us get from the original recording.
Instead of having the party beats and intense bass drop, they show the softer and darker side to the song Chandelier, which depicts part of Sia's life as she grew up.
Sia explained to Billboard in a rare interview that "I was really unhappy being an artist. I was always a drinker but I didn't know I was an alcoholic. Then I got seriously addicted to Vicodin and Oxycodone."

If you would like to read more about this article, click here!

I've always been a huge fan of this song ever since it dropped as a single a few months back. Originally thinking that the fun back beat was something to dance to, it took a few listens to start to truly think about the words and how they can mean so much in so many different ways. 
If I'm feeling sad, I listen to the song and it makes me think "You got this, you'll have a better day tomorrow."; If I'm feeling confident, it's like it's telling me "You go swing from that Chandelier, girl!", and it is always a wonderful song to belt out in the car, which can bring a smile to anyone's face. 

I have got to say that Twisted Measure's interpretation of Sia's hit is beautiful and captivating. I especially love that they chose the raw side of this song and that as it builds it's as if the character is gaining confidence. The first chorus is soft, and coy which makes you think of someone smiling shyly in a corner. Twisted Measure then comes in for the second chorus like a blast of fresh air as if the "character" has suddenly gained a rush of confidence. 
This is definitely one of the best covers of this song and I definitely recommend you all check out their other works! 

Until next time,

Tessa 

Comments

Popular Posts