Top Christmas Tunes!

Wooo! T-Minus 7 days till Christmas! I personally cannot wait for the festivities to commence and for school to be OVER!
As everything has been wrapping up, I feel like the christmas concerts are just endless. On average, I hear of one christmas concert a day, sometimes even more than that! It's a great way to get everyone in the holiday spirit and not to mention, absolute fun!

So, I thought that with the nature of this blog I should do Top 5 Music tunes! I'm going to separate them into 3 categories, Classics, Sacred and Pop. Classics will have oldies tunes that you may hear playing around your grandma's house (or if you're me, you'll wake up to them...I'm an old lady at heart!), Sacred will be my favourite hymns and Pop is self explanatory.

Classics! 

  1. For Classic number 1, I gotta say Have Yourself a Merry Christmas By Judy Garland from Meet Me In St.Louis! 

2. Here Comes Santa Claus - Elvis Presley. This jive like tune brings back the good 'ol memories from the 1950's. 

3. Adeste Fideles (O Come, all Ye Faithful) - Bing Crosby. This song is beautiful, and his incorporation of the latin text never ceases to make me smile!



4. I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas - Gayla Peevey, the tune that we can all recognize and who doesn't want a hippo?? (maybe the girl with the missing front teeth....)



5. White Christmas - Bing Crosby , this gorgeous song is a favourite of mine and my mothers. Plus it's from the beautiful movie, White Christmas.  I could just melt, looking into his baby blue eyes!





Pop!

1.  Mariah Carey`s "All I Want For Christmas Is You" takes position number 1! 
This is a tune that we all look forward to hearing this time of year!



2.Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" lets our parents rock out to a tune from their teenage years, and if you're like me, you may or may not join them!


3. Lady Gaga's "Baby, Its Cold Outside" featuring Joseph Gordon Levitt is a cute jazz spin on the original classic.


4. "Don't Shoot Me Santa" by The Killers, this is from their Christmas album that they make every year for the RED Campaign.  Also, the music video is hilarious and by far one of my favourites (and that's a hard choice, considering I've loved the killers since I was 9...)


 5."Underneath The Christmas Tree" by Kelly Clarkson is another great tune to help celebrate the holidays!




Scared!

1. Bing Crosby's "Silent Night" is always a go-to this time of year. Did you know that he felt so guilty that he got paid for this song, that all the money he made, he donated to the church!


2. Veni, Veni Emmanuel by The Gesualdo Six. It's a beautiful version of O Come, O Come Emmanuel sung in the original latin. Absolutely gorgeous! (Many Thanks to Eric Whitacre for posting this on Facebook!)


3. Oh Holy Night by Josh Groban. His voice is like butter, oh my goodness.


4. Fum Fum Fum by Anonymous. It's festive and upbeat and can even be considered baroque!


5. Joy To The World By John Rutter and inspired by Handel. I'm in love with this descant, it has such a baroque feel to it! Thanks to the Cambridge Singers for their recording.


Bonus 2 songs :

Handel's Messiah's Hallelujah Chorus! Even though this is from his Easter section, It is still a favourite among many! It's too damn catchy!


Ukrainian Bell Song or also commonly known as Carol of the Bells! I'll post the Ukrainian version and the more modern version. Again, another catchy tune!

 (don't mind the creepy child....please)




If you can't tell, I may or may not have a slight obsession with Bing Crosby and the 1940's....I blame my mother for this glorious addiction! 
I Hope you all have a happy holiday, and enjoy your time with your families and friends! It's a wonderful time of year to show your appreciation and love for those in your life! I hope you cherish these moments!

Until next time,

Tessa 

Comments

Popular Posts