Stress and How to Manage It

Stress has recently overtaken my body and my mind. All I've wanted to do in the past 2 weeks is sleep, and the worst part about it is that I have been sleeping. 8,9,10,11, and even sometimes 12 hours, yet I am still exhausted. My dreams have been filled with different Wisdom Teeth extractions, Failed concerts, Poorly done tests and presentations, my mind can't stop. I refuse to wake up from these nightmares because I am just too tired. 

I had a dress rehearsal for Rutter's Magnificat last night and it sucked... 
I had no idea on why my voice stopped working! I honestly sounded like I was a teenage boy going through puberty, my voice was doing all these weird flips or suddenly switching and getting whistley and breathy when usually I have a good technique (or I'd like to think I do...)
It left me in tears and a terrible mood the rest of the rehearsal.
It was honestly discouraging. 

My choir conductor, Jamie, pulled me aside and asked if I was going to be able to do the concert, and then picked out the parts of the music where I had wrong notes/rhythms, etc, and I agreed with him. I told him I wasn't going to sing this morning and that I have a lesson to help fix everything up. He told me that he believes in me, and I think I needed to hear that. Some tough love and then knowing someone has faith in me really helped relax me. 

I also talked to my mom, who is a speech therapist, and she said that she thinks that not only is my brain tired, but my body is as well. It's been a crazy few months and the amount of singing that I do per week is the equivalent to a professional musician, yet I also balance courses while maintaining and certain GPA so I can get accepted to University (which is a totally different added stress in my life.) I haven't been able to play ringette due to this schedule, so my usual outlet for stress and my workouts for the week, is gone and has left me out of shape. 

Now that my little sob story is over, I've looked up some tips that could possibly be helpful for you guys!

Stress Management 

  1. My Pharmacist said that when you are under Stress, your immune system is lowered.  She gave me some Zinc and Vitamin C to take when I am feeling under the weather and/or under stress. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist and see what they say!
  2. Lemon water. Honestly, hot or cold it's delicious, it's great for you and flushes out the toxins in your body plus it's refreshing and will hydrate your body! 
  3. There are a few mental things you can do to help manage your stress.   
  • Ask yourself what you can do to alleviate this stress and what is the main cause of your stress
  • Keep a positive and realistic attitude 
  • Practice some breathing techniques, inhale for a 10 count through the nose and out for a 10 count through the mouth, repeat as many times as necessary 
  • Eat healthy and try to fit in some exercise, It will help fuel your body and burn some of that stress
  • Time management....it's self explanatory 
4.  Make sure you're getting enough sleep. This is key to staying sane at this point.


I hope these tips help you out! And I'll keep you guys posted on how tomorrow goes!

Until next time,

Tessa
 

Comments

Popular Posts