Solo Season!

Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay in the posts, it's been a crazy few weeks with music and I even managed to catch a gnarly cold!
Seeing that it is December 2nd, it is officially the Christmas/Holiday season! (woo hoo! less than 15 school days left!) What a wonderful time of the year to be together to celebrate and enjoy the festivities than attend a concert!

Choirs and Orchestra's will be so busy in the next month with Nutcrackers, Magnificat's, Messiah's and Gloria's that we'll have these all stuck in our heads for months, not forgetting to add those catchy Christmas tunes and other holiday pieces that commercials have had playing since July..(yes, I'm looking at you Staples.)
Add in a few Christmas recitals for those who participate in a Studio, and you have most of your weekends booked up until Christmas.

I know that with my 3 choirs, and the works that we are performing, there are many solo's to be given out. The biggest work that I'm performing in is Rutter's Magnificat, and I'm hoping to have a solo! I was unfortunately unable to attend my audition last week due to my cold, but thankfully I was able to reschedule. Now that my voice is back to it's usual, the piece I wanted to audition for, the Esurientes (the "mezzo-soprano" solo), but all the soprano's had auditioned for it, leaving this Mezzo to audition for the Et Misericordia, which is equally as beautiful but sits very high in the voice.
I may or may not have mentioned before that I have good vocal days and bad vocal days, and lately as I've been recovering from this cold, my voice has decided not to work as it should. I was able to have a lesson on the weekend with my vocal coach and we crash coursed this bad boy.
If I am hoping to get this solo, I have to pretend to be the highest soprano  ultimate coloratura soprano! Time to channel my inner Diana Damrau!

Hopefully it will be better than last years auditions (yes, auditions...it was so bad I had to audition 3 times for 3 different pieces....) So that you don't follow in my foot steps, here are a few tips and tricks for auditions!
  1. Be prepared. Even if you aren't sure when the auditions are being held, if you want that solo, go and practice!
  2. If you have the chance to work with an accompanist prior to your audition, it is highly recommended. That way you can work out any kinks and practice your timing!
  3. Never perform a piece a Capella, always pre-arrange an accompanist or find out in advance if there will be someone playing for you. 
  4. Music. Now always remember to a) send your music in advance to your accompanist and b) bring extra copies (or an original score) for the audition panel. 
  5. Enter the Audition with confidence and feel ready to perform it as if it was the show! If you need a confidence boost, hold a small concert for family and friends to get some extra practice and feedback!
  6. Never apologize! (unless you're running late.) If you make a mistake, make a mistake with integrity and pretend it was intentional. 
  7. Never run late! Always be at least 15 minutes early in case a spot before you is open or just in case of traffic, you never know! It's better to be early than late.
  8. Appropriate dress. Never show up in street clothes! Semi-formal/Business attire is always preferred but no need to buy a ballgown. (If you buy new shoes, make sure you have rehearsed in them before. There is nothing worse then fidgeting in a pair of new heels!)
  9. Never snap or clap at the pianist and keep those hands out of the pockets!
  10. When you enter the audition, don't be to chatty! Greet the panel appropriately, be friendly, and answer their questions thoroughly but no lollygagging! They're busy people!

I hope that these tips and tricks will help you, but just use your common sense and it'll usually lead you in the right direction! Remember, if you don't get the solo or character or role or whatever that you wanted, don't get discouraged! They may have something better in mind for you, perhaps in the next season or concert! The thing to remember is that you are auditioning because a) You love music, b) You are just trying to gain experience. Keep your chin up and keep trying, because one day it will pay off! :)

Until next time,

Tessa


Comments

Popular Posts