Appointment with the Surgeon

As most teenagers face the challenge that is the dreaded wisdom teeth, being a singer doesn't make it easy. Scheduling appointments around rehearsals and concerts is like pulling teeth (pardon the pun..) but its a necessary thing.
As I've started experiencing some of the symptoms affiliated with Wisdom Teeth (tightness in jaw, tender to the touch, the feeling of teething, etc) it's also changed my singing!
Due to the time of day that my teeth cause pain, I am grinding my teeth at night. This is causing the early stages of TMJ which is making my jaw very tight and putting a lot of pressure on my vocal chords when I sing!
For those who don't know what TMJ is, it stands for : Temporomandibular Joint
According to Web Md., The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the hinge joint that connects the lower jaw (mandible) to the temporal bone of the skull, which is immediately in front of the ear on each side of your head. The joints are flexible, allowing the jaw to move smoothly up and down and side to side and enabling you to talk, chew, and yawn. Muscles attached to and surrounding the jaw joint control the position and movement of the jaw.
Things that can cause TMD (Temporomandibular Disorders):
  • Grinding or clenching the teeth, which puts a lot of pressure on the TMJ
  • Dislocation of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket
  • Presence of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis in the TMJ
  • Stress, which can cause a person to tighten facial and jaw muscles or clench the teeth
 As previously mentioned, I've been grinding my teeth. Under pressure I also clench my teeth and I do suffer from rheumatoid arthritis (it's not just for old people!)

I have my first consult tomorrow in hopes of creating a surgical plan that will be the least invasive and that won't interfere with upcoming concerts!


Until next time,

Tessa 

Comments

Popular Posts